Approved State-Certified Doula Training Entities
- BEST Doula Training (Postpartum training only. This is acceptable for certification, but not for Medicaid approval)
- Birth Arts International
- Birth In Color RVA
- Mother of Civilization Birth Services: This is your Birth
- SMC Full Circle Doula Birth Companion Training
- Urban Baby Beginnings
Any person seeking to be a Virginia state-certified doula under 12VAC5-403 Certification of Doulas shall be a community-based doula and (i) meet the qualifications and education requirements established in 12VAC5-403 Certification of Doulas and (ii) hold a certification as a certified doula from a certifying body approved by the Virginia Board of Health. The Virginia Certification Board (VCB) is the certifying body approved by the Virginia Board of Health.
Looking for a State-Certified Doula? Visit the Registry here.
For more in depth information on the requirements please review the downloadable application above.
REQUIRED: 60 total hours specific to the knowledge areas within the last three years. All 60 hours must be from a VCB accredited training provider.
- 2 hours must be in Maternal and Infant Health Concepts and Approaches
- 10 hours must be in Lactation anticipatory guidance and support
- 20 hours must be in Service Coordination and System Navigation
- 8 hours must be in Health Promotion and Prevention
- 5 hours must be in Advocacy, Outreach and Engagement
- 2 hours must be in Communication
- 8 hours must be in Cultural Humility and Responsiveness
- 5 hours must be in Ethical Responsibilities and Professionalism